- The best and easiest way to clean the bathroom is with natural home remedies. Chemical cleaners are usually not necessary.
- Citric acid and vinegar help against limescale and water stains, soap residue and germs.
- With the baking soda and vinegar trick, you can not only remove stubborn urine scale, but also unclog a blocked drain.
For many people, the bathroom is their oasis of relaxation. But it only stays that way if it is nice and clean there. For many people, cleaning the bathroom is one of the most unpleasant household tasks. Read here how you can quickly and easily clean white tiles, tubs and toilets in the bathroom and which natural home remedies can help. With these tips you can clean the bathroom without chemicals and in an environmentally friendly way.
Cleaning the bathroom: basic tips
To clean the bathroom, it is generally best to use soft sponges or cleaning cloths. Because they protect the smooth surface and allow shine. Pot sponges with a rough surface, on the other hand, are less suitable; they can cause fine scratches to the tub or shower and make them appear dull over time. Such scratches are microscopically fine roughening of the material that is not initially visible. Over time, however, larger cracks can form and visible damage can occur, which also provides room for germs, soap residue and stains.
Important for toilet cleaning: Reserve a sponge or cloth exclusively for the toilet. You can use an old toothbrush Joints are particularly easy to clean.
Now to those Cleaning products of choice: It is best to avoid harsh and acidic chemicals. They can irritate the skin and permanently damage the material of your bathroom furnishings. They are also often bad for the environment. It is better to use mild all-purpose cleaners or natural home remedies. Below we will present which home remedies are best for cleaning the bathroom.
How to remove dirt from the shower and tub
Cleaning the tub and shower often takes up the most time when cleaning the bathroom. On the one hand, this is because the area to be cleaned is the largest in relation to the entire bathroom. On the other hand, the most stubborn stains and dirt deposits in the form of soap residue and limescale have to be removed. Here are a few tips on how to combat the stains there particularly effectively:
- Fighting limescale stains on the shower wall: Cooking and ceramic hob cleaner removes limescale from glass shower walls. Simply apply the cleaner generously, leave it to work for a few minutes and rinse thoroughly – done. Citric acid or vinegar are particularly suitable alternative home remedies to hob cleaners. It should be used slightly diluted: Mix with water in a ratio of 1:2 and wipe the shower wall with it. You can achieve greater effectiveness by using lukewarm water for mixing instead of cold tap water. Citric acid and vinegar water also work well on plastic cabins. For sensitive materials, you should first test an inconspicuous corner to see whether the acid attacks the surface and leaves unsightly discoloration.
- Descaling the shower head and cleaning the fittings: Wrap a cloth soaked in vinegar around the shower head or faucets. After 30 to 60 minutes, the limescale can be easily rinsed off.
- Clean the (shower) tray and sink: Dishwashing liquid or mild all-purpose cleaner and a soft cloth help remove dirt. If the tub or sink still looks dull after cleaning, buttermilk is the home remedy of choice: simply pour it onto a soft cloth and spread it generously. After about an hour, rinse with clean water.
For a clean bathroom: cleaning the toilet made easy
Urine scale, limescale and other dirt quickly make the toilet unsightly. You don’t need any harsh special cleaners to clean the unpleasant areas in the bathroom; tried-and-tested home remedies also help excellently.
You can easily remove limescale and other stains in the toilet with vinegar or citric acid, for example. You can wipe the cistern, push button, toilet seat and outside of the toilet with a soft cloth and mild all-purpose cleaner. If there is stubborn dirt, you don’t have to despair, just stay patient and let the cleaner take effect for much longer.
Miracle cure baking soda for urine stone
A mixture of baking powder (also available under the name baking soda in drugstores) and vinegar essence has proven effective against urine scale in the toilet:
- First, pour a packet of baking soda into the toilet.
- Dilute half a cup of vinegar essence with water (1:2 ratio) and pour in.
- Wait ten minutes. Occasionally brush briefly with the toilet brush.
- Then rinse thoroughly with hot water.
The baking soda and vinegar essence method is also suitable for unclogging drains. In the same way Clean the clogged drain with the home remedies baking soda and vinegar essence: Pour baking powder or baking soda into the drain (approx. 4 to 5 tablespoons) and add half a cup of vinegar essence. Wait a few minutes until the chemical reaction or bubbling stops. Then rinse with plenty of water. If there are stubborn blockages, you should repeat this cleaning process, but always rinse with plenty of water between repetitions.
You can find further tips on how to get your bathroom sparkling clean and, for example, remove nasty mold Tchibo online magazine.
Image credits: © New Africa – stock.adobe.com, © Andrey Popov – stock.adobe.com (sorted chronologically or according to the order of the images used in the buying guide)